Well, it’s true! I am now 40! I remember my mom turning 40 and I thought she was so old (sorry mom)! But, I don’t feel 40?!? It’s just a number and recently someone coined the phrase “fabulous at forty”…. well that sounds good to me!
Dave and I spent my birthday at Point No Point Resort on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It was perfect! The only thing missing was our little dog Parker, as no pets were allowed in this unit. (We found out that there a a couple units that accept pets, so we will take him back there in January). The cabin was situated on a cliff overlooking the ocean. You could hear the waves crashing on the rocks below from our private hot tub on the balcony, it was bliss!
It’s not a big resort, but there is a restaurant onsite as well as a network of walking trails that meander through the rugged coastal woods and on to remote beaches. It is a wifi free zone (no cell reception either) but isn’t it nice just to get away from all that sometimes!
On our drive home we stopped and had a look at Sheringham Lighthouse. It’s a nice little drive off the west coast road and well worth the 10 min hike to see it!
All this ‘technology free’ time allowed me to sit back and reflect on my 40th and envision what I want to do in the future. So I have started a list…. I expect it will be a living list that will be added to and subtracted from as the year goes on, but here is the start:
- Learn to crochet (I can knit a bit, but want to try something different)
- Learn to make jam
- Learn to make pickles
- Make a pie from scratch (I have ‘hot hands’ so pastry can be tricky)
- Join a gym and get in a routine of going regularly (hopefully starting that one today)
- Get into meal planning!
- Blog on a regular basis
- Start making jewelry again. BUT take a silversmith course and make it properly
- Take a pottery class
- Take a cheese making class
- Have a regular games night with friends
- Make homemade bread on a regular basis
Do you have any ideas? Please share them in the comments….I would love to hear what inspires you and what you want to learn!